Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 15:13:38 GMT by ballygirl G
Hello, I received contribution-based ESA. I'm wondering whether it counts as employment income for the purposes of working out what my pension annual allowance is this year. Thanks
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 09:09:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi ballygirl G,
Yes as this needs to be taken into account to work out your adjusted net income.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 15:38:05 GMT by ballygirl G
Thank you HMRC Admin 21. Could you please point me to some guidance or other source that confirms this? I had understood that ESA didn't count. For example it is not listed here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm044100#earnings I am trying to work out how much I can put into my SIPP this year and still get tax relief. I will earn less than £60k this year even with the ESA so I will be putting in less than that and need to work out exactly what earnings will count (as I only want to put in an amount that attracts tax relief)
Posted Sat, 07 Sep 2024 09:38:10 GMT by BellaBoo
Hi, not an Admin however I believe you are asking if it is relevant for the purposes of pension tax relief rather than adjusted net income, ESA is income but it is not earnings and it is only earnings which are relevant for your pension tax relief.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.