Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 15:13:21 GMT by
Bare Trust Registration I am writing to seek your assistance in regarding the registration of a bare trust. As a non-UK resident right now, I am planning to relocate to the UK in the near future and become a UK resident. Approximately one year ago, I established a bare trust in collaboration with my mother, who is a non-UK tax resident and she has no plans to relocate to or visit the UK. I act as the trustee of the bare trust, while my mother serves as the beneficiary. It is important to note that there are no UK-based assets held within the bare trust. Given my imminent move to the UK and subsequent change in tax residency, I would like to ascertain whether it is necessary to register this bare trust with HMRC. Additionally, I am curious about the potential income tax liability that may arise if the bare trust generates income. Although I understand that the beneficiary of the bare trust is typically responsible for tax obligations, I believe that no UK tax should be payable as my mother is not a UK tax resident. I would greatly appreciate your advice on these matters. Thank you for your kind attention and assistance.
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:34:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please refer to guidance at:

Trusts and taxes

You could also contact us by telephone. +44 300 123 1072

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.