Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:06:25 GMT by Charles_M_B Charles_M_B
Hello, will my 2024/25 tax code be changed automatically to reflect the changes to the high income child benefit charge announced in the Budget? My tax code letter says that the code includes a deduction to recover child benefit as my income is expected to exceed £50k. But this is now out of date as the charge is only due if income is expected to exceed £60k. Surely I will not have to wait until I submit my tax return for 2024/25 to recover tax that looks like it is going to be deducted but is not longer due?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:46:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

In order to benefit from the new rate, you will need to claim from 6 April 2024.

You can do this via the HMRC app or the online claim form on GOV.UK - just search for 'new changes to the High Income Child Benefit charge' on GOV.UK. 

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2024 13:52:55 GMT by grahamwoodhouse
I am in the same position. I'm not sure but I *think* the 'charge' is paid in arrears so we won't see a change to our 24/25 tax code as we will need to pay the charge for child benefit claimed in 23/24 through our 24/25 tax code. Unfortunately we won't see any benefit from the 6th April 24 change until we receive our 25/26 tax code as we will no longer have to pay the charge (or part of it) for child benefit claimed in 24/25. If you see what I mean!
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:25:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If for 2024 to 2025 your income is below the £60K threshold then you would not be charged for the higher income child benefit charge in your tax code.

If you think your tax code is incorrect then you will need to contact HMRC to review/update.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.