Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 06:16:57 GMT by
I am domiciled in UK but have an Australian superannuation fund. I hope to take the total amount as a lump sum, no regular pension payments, and deposit it into an Australian bank account. Do I have to declare that total amount if money to HMRC? Or, is only the interest earned from that money taxable in UK? If I transfer small amounts to UK bank account do I gave to declare them to HMRC?
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:06:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
Article 17 for the UK/Australia double taxation agreement, relates to pensions, but it does not mention lump sum payments in any way.  
This means lump sum payments are not covered by the agreement:
UK/ AUSTRALIA DOUBLE TAXATION CONVENTION
As they are not covered by the agreement, it means the lump sum payment from the Australian Superannuation Fund, is taxable in both Australia and the UK.  
To avoid double taxation, you can claim a foreign tax credit relief in the foreign section of a self assessment tax return, for up to 100% of the tax paid in Australia, so that you do not pay tax twice on the lump sum. 
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 16:38:08 GMT by Rachel Kavanagh
Hi There, I have a similar situation to the above, and would like to know whether 25% of the Australia pension lump sum would be tax free, or whether this 25% relief only applies to UK pension funds? And if yes, is this 25% tax relief in addition to the foreign pension relief of 10% that is available on the fund accumulated pre-6 April 2017? Thank you, 

Name removed admin .
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:23:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Please refer to:

EIM75550 - The taxation of pension income: lump sums from foreign pension schemes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.