Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 Jul 2024 19:15:00 GMT by JJ FM
Hello HMRC team, I am seeking some advice on amending my previous year's Self Assessment regarding tax on vesting RSU. I work in the UK for a US-based company. As part of my remuneration, the company grants Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) which vest a few years down the line. Upon vesting, I receive US shares from the company, however only a fraction of them while the rest is used to settle tax. This tax amount is reflected in the payslip for the month where the shares vested, and appears as a deduction to my total tax. However, I noticed my P60 form displays my total remuneration, including the vested shares but excluding aforesaid deductions. When making my SA, I declared the overall PA amount, meaning I have paid tax twice on the vested shares. What is the correct way to amend my 2022-2023 SA to claim a tax refund in this case?
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 11:29:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
As the payment is from your employer, the income should be shown in the employment section if it is included in your P60.
You would then claim credit for the Tax in the foreign section under 'Employment, self-employment and other income which you paid foreign tax on'.  The foreign tax credit can be up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.  You will need to amend your tax return.  
If online, you add the foreign page and declare the tax in the foreign employment.  
Alternatively, you can submit a paper SA106:
Self Assessment: Foreign (SA106) for the tax year in question, with a covering letter advising you are amending your tax return.  
You have until 31 Janaury 2026 to amend your 2022-2023 tax return.
Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 11:40:05 GMT by JJ FM
Hello HMRC Admin, Thank you for the response. I have followed your instructions and claimed the foreign tax credit, which has now been refunded into my bank account. I suspect I could also claim an additional foreign tax credit for the 2021-2022 year, however for that year I did not have to prepare a Self-Assessment. Is this something I can do online too, or should I do it in another way?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 09:48:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

You would need to file a return for that year too and claim foreign tax credit relief .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.