Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:17:01 GMT by
Hi -for tax year 2022-2023, I am Uk tax resident, I had a tax return £4000 from Hong Kong Government which it related to my jobs in Hong Kong which I already resigned in 2021 before I landed in UK, do I need to declare it in self assessment and will it be taxed? -I also had only £14 interest in 2022-2023 in bank in Hong Kong, do I need to report in self assessment because of this very low account? -for my parent(they are uk tax resident), my mum had £150 interest in Bank in Hong Kong and my dad had £20 interest in bank in Hong Kong in 2022-2023 and they are both retired and each of them had less than £10000 interest in UK bank in 2022-2023, do they have to declare those Hong Kong very low amount bank interest in self assessment and will it be taxed?
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:10:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Connie Wu,
As the payment relates to work carried out whilst you were in Hong Kong, under the terms of the double taxation treaty,  then you do not need to declare this.
Foreign interest does need to be declared.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.