Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2024 13:29:58 GMT by Allan L
Hi, I have register for Self Assessment at 1st June 2024 and haven’t received UTR number or any messages from HMRC until now. In 1st August 2024 I want to sign in my personal tax account and find out what I can do for Self Assessment and the system said my government gate way ID and password does not match. (I am sure both government gate way ID and password is correct because I have just made an application for tax refund at the end of June.) I also try to change my password but the system said I cannot change my password online, after I provided my personal details. I have contacted online help desk, provided my personal details and NI no., they reply me that ‘’their cannot issue their credentials at this time - I have been advised a referral has been sent to the relevant department - I will need to wait for a response’’. And they do not have time scale. May I be advised that which department I should contact for my UTR number. Am I still able to file my first Self Assessment tax return under the situation that I cannot sign in my personal account? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 08:12:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Allan L,
If you have not received your UTR 4 weeks after you registered for it, there may have been an issue with your registration. Contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries to allow us to complete your registration, and advise you further on filing online.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.