Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 15:33:30 GMT by
Hi, I am completing a Self-Assessment Tax return for the first time due to incurring a High Income Child Benefit Charge. I am needing to complete 3x Tax Returns for the years 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23. The total amount of High Income Child Benefit Charge for these 3 years is £1,357, however the calculation for each year is showing that more than this is owed - the combined calculation is £1,740.20 which is £383.20 more than the HICBC. When working through each of the calculations it looks like I am now being asked to pay back more tax than I did in each of those years. Why is this if my taxes were all paid through PAYE at the time? Surely it is just the HICBC that should be owed.
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:18:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi DH88,
If the figure is higher than the Higher Income Child Benefit charge there must be another reason for the remaining balance.
We would need to review the calculations to find out the reason.
You can contact HMRC here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 17 Dec 2023 20:01:20 GMT by
Hi DH88 I also need to complete tax returns for previous years but I don't know how to do it. How did you do 3 years?
Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:23:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Phil Laird,
If you need to complete tax returns for previous tax years you would need to register for these tax years if not already done.
Once registered you can then use the drop down to change the tax year that you need to file the tax return for.
The drop down will only be available if HMRC has issued a notice to file a tax return for that tax year.
If not sure if you have registered the previous tax years then you will need to contact HMRC to review.
Please contact deatils here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:35:28 GMT by
I got to it by clicking "Self Assessment" once I logged into my account, then "More details about your Self Assessment returns and payments". From that screen I could see all 3 Tax Return forms for the Financial Years I had registered for. On a side note, should anyone have a similar issue, the variance was to do with my Work From Home tax allowance which applied for the 3 years in question. Once this was added to the tax return, the amount owed was as expected.
Posted Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:03:19 GMT by
Hi DH88 Thanks, I will check what I get. Did you have to pay interest or penalty for previous years? I find this whole thing very confusing as I have always paid taxes through PAYE.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.