Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2024 18:06:19 GMT by AReid
Hi, I have 2 jobs. One, where I meet the student loans repayment threshold and pay it to them through PAYE. My second job, I earn far below the threshold (and so should not have to pay any student loans repayment from it). When I fill in the self-assessment, should I click 'Yes' or 'No' to "Did you receive notification from Student Loans Company that repayment of an Income Contingent Student Loan began before 6 April 2024?" If I click yes, my tax calculation includes a huge amount of student loan repayments which I should not need to pay as I have already paid the required amount through PAYE for my first job (which I detailed in the application). Should I be clicking 'no' ?
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 06:34:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi AReid,
You can confirm which plan you are on here:
Which repayment plan you're on.
If the repayment amount appears too high, ensure that you've entered the student loans deductions made by your employer in box 2.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 08:13:44 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...student loan is based on cumulative income, not individual jobs, so you tick yes and the balance it is showing as due will be payable, the first job has only calculated student loan on the first job, it is also due on the second (as it would be on any other source of income not taxed at source...bank interest, income from property etc).

You must be signed in to post in this forum.