Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:58:10 GMT by
I am from Hong Kong. I am a non-UK resident with £4000 interest income from the UK bank saving account in the tax year 2022/2023. This is my only income in UK and there is no tax to be deducted from interest income in my country. Do I need to file the self assessment for this £4000 income? If the answer is “Yes”, then which documents I have to submit? Thank you very much for your help.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:52:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Yes you will need to declare this income and as no personal allowances are due, you will be liable to tax.

You need to complete the self assessment tax return SA100 and also the residence section SA109.

You cannot file online unless you use 3rd party software .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:39:19 GMT by
Hi HMRC, I am the similar situation with Teresa2243. I am a non-UK resident with interest income from the UK bank saving account in the tax year 2022/2023. This is my only UK income. I can't apply for split year treatment since this is only available for UK residents. However, SAIM1170 advises if I am not a resident in the UK, then UK bank interest and dividends interest are considered 'disregarded income'. Do I need to report these interest income arising in the UK? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 21:37:03 GMT by
Hi HMRC, Thank you for the reply. I have just seen a different reply from other similar thread saying that as a non UK resident, interest and dividends are treated as ‘disregarded income’. This means that it is not subject to tax, but if tax is deducted, it may not be refundable. Non UK tax resident would only need to declare the interest/dividends in a Self Assessment Tax Return, if non tax resident were claiming a refund of tax paid. So, may I know if this reply also apply to my case? the £4000 Interest income is my only UK income and this interest income is treated as ‘Disregarded income’ as a non UK tax resident and no tax is due on it. Besides, I do not need to declare the interest since I do not need to claim any tax refund. Please advise. Thanks
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 14:10:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you only have the interest and dividends then a tax return is not required.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 06:12:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Teresa2243,
Please refer to additional guidance here:
HS300 Non-residents and investment income (2023)
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 13:48:25 GMT by
I am a UK citizen resident in Canada since January 2023. I have a fixed rate savings bond due to mature on 1 January 2024 which will pay me approx £4000 interest. Am I liable for tax in the UK or Canada?
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 07:51:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi MalcUnited 2204,
In general, interest arising in the UK and paid to a resident of Canada, is taxable in Canada.
However, the double taxation agreement also gives the UK tax ation rights, depending on the circumstances.
Please have a look at article 11 to help you reach a decision.
CONVENTION BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND AND THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION AND THE PREVENTION OF FISCAL EVASION WITH RESPECT TO TAXES ON INCOME AND CAPITAL GAINS
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.