Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 10:15:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi LBudge,
I apologise if you are having issues getting through.
This can only be corrected by speaking to our helpline or writing to us:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 17:08:10 GMT by
Here we are again 44 minutes waiting now to speak to an adviser. we are now beyond 6pm. They have not processed an online repayment claim from June 2022. Suggestions other than writing to MP?
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 05:53:10 GMT by
I had the same problem. I've been trying to contact HMRC on Friday and yesterday (trying multiple times at different hours). It's always the same: "We are busy; you'll have to wait long; better go online; [machine talking for 3-5 minutes]; thank you for your phone call; goodbye [disconnecting]". I'll keep trying, as I don't feel like sending a letter with an inquiry and waiting 2 months to get a reply.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 14:15:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mentionitall9,

If you submitted the tax return online, you can access the SA302 through your online account.
There is a list of lenders here who will accept the copies from your account:
List of mortgage providers and lenders who accept a SA302 tax calculation and a tax year overview
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 14:10:29 GMT by Marco Morelli
According to the last 3 tax returns, HMRC should return me £787 (£256 and £531). I've been trying to call since last May 2022 (over a year, that's not a typo!). Every time I call I get put on hold and have used up a whopping £50 in phone top-ups, it's shameful stuff. I wrote on HMRC's official Twitter account but was told there's nothing they can do. I call, I call, I call but no one ever answers the phone, HMRC agents are always busy! The only time I was able to speak to HMRC was last July 2022, as I had been sent a refund by cheque, but at the time, living in Spain, it arrived 2 months later, when it had expired, as I had to change it at the bank after 4 weeks if I'm not mistaken. So I asked to have it credited directly to my bank account but the HMRC agent told me that she had to cancel the cheques first and that the whole procedure would take 60 days if I am not mistaken. So I had to call back at the end of August/beginning of September to request the credit. Well, I haven't been able to speak to anyone from HMRC since last July 2022 and by now the situation has become serious and grotesque. I want my £787 back as soon as possible, it is totally unfair and unprofessional to make people wait so long for money that is a right, not a favour! Help me please, I don't know what to do anymore! Thanks!
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 12:40:03 GMT by
I have been trying since March to get through to ask about future contributions but to no avail. I am below pension age but want to ask if it is worth paying (what I believe to be Class 3 contributions) to top up. Is there an email address or business address that I can use instead please?
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 14:33:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Dylan 5,

We are sorry to hear that you have been able to speak to an advisor on our helpline. Lines are extremely busy at present. If you are still unable to get through by telephone, you can write to HMRC at the following address:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
PT Operations
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN

Alternatively, you can use our webchat option which is available 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday. Please see the following link: 

National Insurance: general enquiries 

Please note, HMRC can tell you if you have shortfalls on your National Insurance records that are available to pay, but we can not tell you if paying for those shortfalls will increase your pension. You need to check this with the Department of Work and Pensions. 

Contact the Future Pension Centre

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:21:38 GMT by
I was asked to fill in three years' worth of self-assessments even though I have always been PAYE and do not need to fill out a self-assessment according to HMRC's own online test. However, I did as I was told and tried to fill in an online assessment. My user ID looks to have been hacked - the email address and phone number associated with it is very suspect. HMRC sent a message saying "You need to contact us - this is so we can investigate this user ID". I have been trying to get through on 0300 200 3600 literally dozens of times since April 2023. I've probably rung them 40 times. Today a penalty came through the post saying I have failed to fill out a self assessment. £100. I cannot fill it out since my user ID does not work and there is no way of me rectifying it without contacting HMRC. But the phone is never answered.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 13:26:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the repayment is from Self Assessment you can contact us by webchat.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

If the repayment is from PAYE you will need to contact our Income Tax team again.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:48:07 GMT by
Hi, I've been trying to get through for days and been unable to. as id like to discuss / set up a payment plan and so on. also searched for a contact email address but have been unsuccessful. I'd be grateful if you could provide a contact email for the right department as my payment is due today. I'll be making a 50% payment today would like to discuss the remaining balance. thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:09:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can find guidance on setting up a payment plan here:

If you cannot pay your tax bill on time

You cannot contact us via email.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 09 Feb 2024 11:08:53 GMT by
I'm experiencing the same problem of not being able to get through. Been trying for a while. And the link previously provided isn't helpful as my account says "You cannot set up a Self Assessment payment plan online." I'm not sure how HMRC are still experiencing such unmanageably "high call volumes" given it's more than a week past the deadline. Presumably this happens every year? How many times am I going to have to try calling? I work and don't have the time to sit on hold for several hours a day. I assume you will be charging me interest/penalties for every day I'm unable to get through? Seems like some perverse incentives have been set up here.
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:46:51 GMT by Mikeadv
HMRC not answering phones, for the 5th day in a row, and I cannot get through to speak on their helpline!
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 15:42:20 GMT by gabrielaesta1111
I have been fined £100 for a late Self Assessment despite de-registering a Self Employed last year and calling you to check I didn’t owe anything, as I was still receiving emails and messages chasing me. I was told explicitly that I did not need to submit a tax return. I have now been told I have been charged £100 and £10 daily. I have tried calling almost every day, I just get hung up on. Try and speak to someone on online chat, I just get shut down. The instructions to appeal are incredibly confusing and I don’t want to appeal, I was told I did not need to submit a self assessment so it just needs to be cancelled. I am not paying these daily charges when you make it literally impossible to contact you. Absolute farce.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.