Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:35:17 GMT by Sandes_Gaudin
Hi, I can't login to the HMRC website to complete online Self Assessment and pay the tax for the 21/22 year. The website doesn't recognize my passport. I have been trying to contact the HMRC services since December 2022. One time I had a reply , but this reply essentially was simply informing me that I would not get any support: "We cannot tell you which option you are failing and why". I ended up having to pay a penalty. I paid that penalty by online bank transfer and want to check if the payment has been received by your services. Since then I have been trying tens of times to contact support, but I could never get someone on the other end of the phone, even after spending several minutes giving personal details about the issue to the robot voice, the call inevitably ended with "Thank you for your call, goodbye". Not even putting me on a hotline. The robot voice told me to use the online chat, the online chat told me to check the online account, which I cannot access because it doesn't recognize my passport. Therefore, I am stuck. What am I supposed to do to complete my self assessment and make sure taxes are paid? Is it possible to book a face to fact appointment in the closest HMRC office? Otherwise, I will send in paper form the self assessment for 21/22 and 22/23. I have no other choice as there doesn't appear to be any way to get anyone to talk to me. 
Posted Tue, 02 May 2023 14:06:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Kevin Adamson,

If you are unable to change the number the access code goes to you will need to speak with our Online Services team:

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 08:18:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Enya Murphy,

If your registration is being rejected online and you are having issues getting though, you can complete print and post forms to send to us.

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 15:36:40 GMT by mentionitall9
Hi there, I filled out my tax return over 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received my SA302. I urgently need this for a mortgage approval. Every time I try to phone I am disconnected. Can someone please assist?
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 10:15:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi LBudge,
I apologise if you are having issues getting through.
This can only be corrected by speaking to our helpline or writing to us:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 17:08:10 GMT by Colin Lothian
Here we are again 44 minutes waiting now to speak to an adviser. we are now beyond 6pm. They have not processed an online repayment claim from June 2022. Suggestions other than writing to MP?
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 05:53:10 GMT by DomZee
I had the same problem. I've been trying to contact HMRC on Friday and yesterday (trying multiple times at different hours). It's always the same: "We are busy; you'll have to wait long; better go online; [machine talking for 3-5 minutes]; thank you for your phone call; goodbye [disconnecting]". I'll keep trying, as I don't feel like sending a letter with an inquiry and waiting 2 months to get a reply.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 14:15:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mentionitall9,

If you submitted the tax return online, you can access the SA302 through your online account.
There is a list of lenders here who will accept the copies from your account:
List of mortgage providers and lenders who accept a SA302 tax calculation and a tax year overview
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 20:06:03 GMT by Outhouse
Been trying by phone, usual long wait to speak to a helpful adviser, no really, very polite, helpful, to find out why I can't access my online account since April last year. They said send a paper return, done that twice, write to us, done that three times. Got a letter saying saying 45 days to restoring your account. Hurrah. That ran out 3 months ago. Boo. I need to prove my identity apparently. Had same utr since 90's, same house, same everything. They now send me emails telling me to fill in my return online even though my access is blocked and my last income was from an agency 3 years ago, apparently and I'm not self employed. Oh yes, and I had a compliance check last year and two this year which means they wanted me to resend the paperwork they already had. What has happened?!?! If I owed hmrc the amount I've overpaid, someone would have been taking my stuff to auction by now.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 14:10:29 GMT by Marco Morelli
According to the last 3 tax returns, HMRC should return me £787 (£256 and £531). I've been trying to call since last May 2022 (over a year, that's not a typo!). Every time I call I get put on hold and have used up a whopping £50 in phone top-ups, it's shameful stuff. I wrote on HMRC's official Twitter account but was told there's nothing they can do. I call, I call, I call but no one ever answers the phone, HMRC agents are always busy! The only time I was able to speak to HMRC was last July 2022, as I had been sent a refund by cheque, but at the time, living in Spain, it arrived 2 months later, when it had expired, as I had to change it at the bank after 4 weeks if I'm not mistaken. So I asked to have it credited directly to my bank account but the HMRC agent told me that she had to cancel the cheques first and that the whole procedure would take 60 days if I am not mistaken. So I had to call back at the end of August/beginning of September to request the credit. Well, I haven't been able to speak to anyone from HMRC since last July 2022 and by now the situation has become serious and grotesque. I want my £787 back as soon as possible, it is totally unfair and unprofessional to make people wait so long for money that is a right, not a favour! Help me please, I don't know what to do anymore! Thanks!
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 12:40:03 GMT by Dylan 5
I have been trying since March to get through to ask about future contributions but to no avail. I am below pension age but want to ask if it is worth paying (what I believe to be Class 3 contributions) to top up. Is there an email address or business address that I can use instead please?
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 14:33:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Dylan 5,

We are sorry to hear that you have been able to speak to an advisor on our helpline. Lines are extremely busy at present. If you are still unable to get through by telephone, you can write to HMRC at the following address:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
PT Operations
HM Revenue and Customs

Alternatively, you can use our webchat option which is available 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday. Please see the following link: 

National Insurance: general enquiries 

Please note, HMRC can tell you if you have shortfalls on your National Insurance records that are available to pay, but we can not tell you if paying for those shortfalls will increase your pension. You need to check this with the Department of Work and Pensions. 

Contact the Future Pension Centre

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:21:38 GMT by Andrew Knight
I was asked to fill in three years' worth of self-assessments even though I have always been PAYE and do not need to fill out a self-assessment according to HMRC's own online test. However, I did as I was told and tried to fill in an online assessment. My user ID looks to have been hacked - the email address and phone number associated with it is very suspect. HMRC sent a message saying "You need to contact us - this is so we can investigate this user ID". I have been trying to get through on 0300 200 3600 literally dozens of times since April 2023. I've probably rung them 40 times. Today a penalty came through the post saying I have failed to fill out a self assessment. £100. I cannot fill it out since my user ID does not work and there is no way of me rectifying it without contacting HMRC. But the phone is never answered.
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:21:26 GMT by Mark Owen
My online account confirmed that I had overpaid tax of £4000, I completed a refund request online on the 27th May 2023. It states refund should be with me within 2 weeks. Now, on the 19th July I am still waiting for my refund. No one answers the phone. I have written to HMRC but no response. Can anyone help me on how I can chase my money.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 13:26:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If the repayment is from Self Assessment you can contact us by webchat.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

If the repayment is from PAYE you will need to contact our Income Tax team again.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.