Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:12:01 GMT by Chiumook
I am a BNO holder. I arrived in UK on May 11, 2022 and rented a flat on June 11, 2022. I am retired. The only income is the interest from my saving which is less than £10,000 in the tax year April 6, 2022 to April 5, 2022. Do I need to send a Self Assessment tax return?
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:09:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If the interest is earned in the UK then no.
If it is foreign interest, yes a tax return is required.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 09:44:20 GMT by Chiumook
Thank you for your reply. If the interest includes both UK and foreign (total interest is less than £10,000), do I just need to include the foreign interest in the tax return or include both UK and foreign interest? When will be the split year start? My arrival date (May 11, 2022) or the date I rented the flat (June 11, 2022)? Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:35:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You will need to include both the overseas interest and the UK interst on the tax return. If your overseas interest and dividends are less than £2000.00, you can record this in page TR3 of SA100, otherwise you need to report the overseas interest on SA106. Your split year treatment would commence from your arrival date.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.