Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:17:39 GMT by CurlyG
Hi I currently freelance and do my own self assessment. I have recently been offered freelance work, but they are saying they will be deducting the tax for me under PAYE but I will need to pay my own NI 2 & 4. I don't understand this as I thought this only happens if you are actually employed by them. I would be grateful for any advice on this please.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:20:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

IR35 is off payroll working and would apply to a worker, who provides services to a client through their own intermediary and who would otherwise be an employee, if it were not for the intermediary. Under IR 35 rules, tax and National Insurance would be deducted. You can see guidance here: 

Understanding off-payroll working (IR35) 

SA103F, box 82 is where you would declare 'other tax taken off trading income', if the tax deducted is not part of the Consruction Industry Scheme.

If you have regisered for Self Assessment as self employed, class 2 and class 4 National Insurance will be calculated by Self Assessment.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.