Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2023 16:17:46 GMT by Richard Lavelli
Hi, I have a private pension that I pay a regular sum of money into each month. I receive basic level (20%) tax relief via my pension provider but I am a 40% rate tax payer. I would like to use a self-assessment to claim the additional 20% tax relief. I tried to register for self-assessment, however my application was rejected after explaining the scenario above. Is there another route I should follow to get this done? I'm unsure how to proceed, so any help would be much appreciated. I am not self-employed and have a workplace pension as well. Thanks Rich
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 08:41:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You would not meet the criteria for Self Assessment based on this. Information regarding claiming the relief is shown here.

Tax on your private pension contributions

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.