Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 15:19:20 GMT by
I moved to the UK in July 2021. As a housewife, I have no income or investments anywhere in the world. However, I was informed that I need to register for self-assessment, even if I have no income. After completing the self-assessment form online, I received an email from HMRC stating that the form was incomplete. 1) I’m unsure if I need to complete the self-assessment form. Under the section “Why do you need to complete the tax return”, none of the options seem to fit my situation. 2) Do I actually need to complete a self-assessment? 3) How can I obtain a UTR number? Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 09:55:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to below and the online checker tool.

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 13:59:41 GMT by
Upon utilizing the tool, it was communicated to me that there’s no requirement for me to submit a Self Assessment tax return. However, I was instructed to notify HMRC about my circumstances. This notification is to be done online using HMRC’s digital assistant. The challenge I’m facing is that a UTR number is a prerequisite for using this digital assistant, and I currently don’t possess one. When attempting to register for self-assessment, I found that none of the options provided under the section “Why do you need to complete the tax return” accurately represent my situation. Could you guide me on how to complete the self-assessment process in order to obtain my UTR number?
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 07:57:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi MandM2021,
If you do meet the online criteria questions but are not sure if you need to file a Self Assessment tax return then you would need to contact HMRC to check if a UTR is needed. 
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.