Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 11:13:34 GMT by Rick Chan
Dear HMRC Admin I moved to the UK on 7 April 2024 with a BNO visa from Hong Kong to start a new life. I would like to seek your advice on the overseas income from Hong Kong. I resigned from my job on 22 March 2024, and my previous employer paid my accumulated annual leave by 4 instalments until 1 July 2024. The total amount received after 7 April 2024 (the date of my arrival in the UK) is HK$ 150,000 equivalent to approx. GBP 15,000. The payment is directly paid by my previous employer to my bank account in Hong Kong. And I didn’t need to report or render any service to my previous employer after the date of my resignation on 22 March 2024. This accumulated annual leave payment is fully subjected to Hong Kong Tax. As I arrived in the UK on 7 April 2024 , I will become a tax resident of the UK in FY 2024/25. Under my situation, I would like to confirm the below uncertain issue and make the appropriate response on the tax responsibilities to the UK. 1. The accumulated annual leave income of approx. GBP 15,000 after I arrived in the UK should be subject to UK income tax? 2. If the payment should not be subjected to UK income tax, Do I need to report this income to HMRC? Please let me know if you need any further information.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 10:17:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Rick Chan,
Under the terms of the double taxation agreement, the holiday pay is classed as payment for work done in Hong Kong and therefore only taxable there.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.