Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:29:50 GMT by
I am a higher rate tax payer. My employer paid £1320 into a pension. I paid £10,000 into a SIPP and the SIPP provider added 20% (£2500) to the SIPP account. Do I enter £1320 or £1485 into box: "Payments to registered pension schemes (also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called 'relief at source'). Enter the payments and basic rate tax:" Also do I enter £10,000 or £12500 into box: Total of any 'one-off' payments to registered pension schemes included in the 'Payments to registered pension schemes where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider' box: One more question, I paid in a further £30,000 into the SIPP after 6th April 2023, can I use on this tax return or can I use this years unusued allowance in next years self assessment. Many thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:25:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You add the figure you paid into your pension scheme (ignore the payment from your employer) plus the tax claimed by the pension provider. This gross figure will allow you to claim the additional tax relief due. The total of one off payments made to the pension scheme is part of the figure in box 1.  

Your further paymemt of £30000, was made after 6 April 2023.  This means that you can claim relief in your 2023 to 2024 tax return. Any other unused portion of your allowed theshold from the 3 previous tax years, can be added to your current year to create a revised threshold. 

Tax on your private pension contributions

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.