Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 06:38:43 GMT by Dugal McCrow
I had to complete a self-assessment return 2023-24 due to having to pay the higher income child benefit charge. There didn't seem to be anywhere clear where I could add a claim for expenses - professional fees, that usually carries over via PAYE. As a result my tax code changed. I have just added those expenses for 2024-25 via the HMRC site. Will this bring me up to date or do I need to do something else to update 2023-24? I had gone through all the options in the self-assessment form online and could not see professional fees for the life of me!
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 07:33:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
You should be able to enter the figure for your professional feesby selecting 'yes' under ' Do you wish to claim any employment expenses or capital allowances while working for (your employer)?' on your PAYE employment income page.
Alternatively, contact r Self Assessment team via link below and we can update your return.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 08:21:27 GMT by Dugal McCrow
I have re-added these fees for 24-25 as I will not need to do a self-assessment return, I hope. However where on the self-assessment form can professional fees be entered? Thank you for the info on PAYE but I can’t see how to use that to support a self-assessment. Also the contact page: the chat bot cannot help me with this question and there is no way to contact a real support person via the bot today.
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 10:28:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
To give you the best advice, we may need to clarify a few parts of your query. Please contact our Self Assessment team by webchat or phone via:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.