Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 12:15:42 GMT by didsydoodle
Hi, I was recently made aware by HMRC that I potentially needed to pay the HICBC (I obviously live under a stone and didn't realise this was a thing). I looked back over my past P60s and noticed that my income was over 50k for the current tax year and previous 2 years also. I registered for self assessment, and have filed returns for all the years my P60 said my income was 50k+ I was however confused by the 'Adjusted Net Income' aspect, and so asked my payroll if my pension came out before or after tax...they said before. To be fair, this didn't make it any clearer to me with all the 'tax relief' jargon on the HMRC help pages. So I was left wondering whether I should've made some kind of deduction from the income figure shown on my p60. Have I done the correct thing filing returns for all the years, and will the amounts be correct (i.e. I wasn't asked for 'adjusted net income' when filling out the self assessment).
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:54:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the pension contributions are deducted from your gross pay before the tax is calculated then you have already received the tax relief for these payments and would not be able to claim the relief again.

Your HICBC would be based on your P60 figures.

Yes, you have done the correct thing and the calcullations would be correct. If you want to check the calculations then you will need to contact our Self Assessment team to access your record. 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:51:58 GMT by didsydoodle
That's great...thank you for your help.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.