Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 22:10:01 GMT by
Hi I have read the relevant criteria for choosing the remittance basis and I think I have met all the conditions, and I am choosing the remittance basis for the tax year 2022-23 Questions that I have on my nominated income and capital gain Background a. I arrived at UK on 1 Aug 2022. b. I choose to use remittance basis c. Split year treatment: Overseas period: 6 Apr 2022 to 31 Jul 2022 and UK period: 1 Aug 2022 to 5 Apr 2023 d. All the income mentioned below are received in the overseas bank account and are not remitted into the UK. Questions 1. I received a salary back pay in Oct 2022 for the salary that I earned in the overseas period, Can I still treat it as income received in the overseas period? 2. I received several shares dividends in Aug and Sep 2022, which were indeed for the period in the overseas period. Can I treat them as income received in the overseas period? 3. I have time deposit covering both the overseas period and the UK period (e.g. time deposit starts from 6 Apr 2022 to 5 Apr 2023). Do I split the interest income of the time deposit into incomes received in overseas period and incomes received in UK period? 4. I received rental income on 28th every month, can I split the Jul/Aug rental income into income received in overseas period and income received in UK period 5. For item 2-5 above, as some of them will go beyond 2022-23 tax year, and go into 2023-24 tax year, do I apportion the income for the year 2022-23 even though I have not received them by 5 Apr 2023? 6. Can I know the full list of nominated income and capital gain? Many thanks! Best wishes, TCTY
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:07:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi TC_UK,
This is for you to confirm based on the guidance available.
Further information is available at:
Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.