Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 15:09:18 GMT by
Hi, I am considering taking a plunge into self employment and need to clarify a question about mileage expenses. I would be working for an multi national company as a self employed courier. I would select delivery blocks via an app on my phone, these blocks would start from any one of approx 10 depots. The deliveries could take me to a finish point up to 20 miles away from the depot in the opposite direction to my home address. My questions are as follows, A: Am i able to claim from home to each depot as an itinerant worker? B: In regards of claiming for my return journey, if i return to my home address can i claim mileage based on the fact that this journey could be 20 mile further distant or if i returned (unnecesarily in most cases) to each depot at the end of my run would i claim for my complete circular run from depot to depot? Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance for advice.
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:48:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Gary Watson,
Please refer to make sure you meet the conditions to claim for both Q1 and Q2
BIM37620 - Wholly and exclusively: duality of, or non-trade, purpose: travel costs: to and between sites
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:32:05 GMT by
Hi, I work for the local authority. Our offices are two to one on office chairs, so not all employees could visit the office at the same time. I live 5 miles from the office. I am required to spend one random day a week in the office per week and one random day a month for a 1.5 hour meeting. The other 4 days a week, I work from home. On the days I work from home, I visit resident's homes, typically only ever once per resident and up to 6 resident's a week. When working from home and I undertake a visit to a resident's home, my employer will only pay the calulated mileage (0.65p per mile) from the office to the resident, even though I do not go in the office. Could be 2 miles each way based in their calculation, but I am doing 7 miles each way. I do believe I have 2 permanent places of work, the office and home, as again, all employees could not work from the office together. Can I claim full mileage via my tax from home to the resident's home and back to home on the days I am not required to be in the office, but deducting the mileage my employer pays me? For instance on a 14 mile return journey from home to the resident, my employer gives me 4 miles, but can I claim back the actual 10 extra miles via my tax?
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:34:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi dirtydustbin200,
No you cannot claim this.
Your office is still classed as your workplace and you cannot claim for home to work travel expenses so it would only be the distance from your office to the resdient that counts as business travel.
Please see guidance here: 
Claim tax relief for your job expenses
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 01 Jun 2024 22:01:23 GMT by mersltd240
Hi, I am new to this forum, and have a question on the aforementioned topic, if I may ask. I work as itinerant worker, and my job as a service engineer requires me to travel to different places based on breakdown call outs. And sometimes I need to go out to the suppliers and back to the break down call; to repair. Am I allowed to claim mileage expense as below by means for logging business miles: 1. Mileage from office to 1st call out. and how should I account for mileage when going to a 2nd call out after the 1st one, on the same day. 2. Mileage from the call out to the supplier and back in case of purchasing replacement parts. And what will be the treatment of VAT on mileage expense claimed for business miles. Appreciate your assistance in this matter. Regards
Posted Wed, 05 Jun 2024 09:40:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi.

You can see the guidance below, as this details options about reclaiming VAT on the fuel used for business purposes:

Road fuel bought for business

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.