Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:18:39 GMT by
I have made a one-off lump-sum contribution to a pension fund, Just checking what I should enter into boxes 1 and 1.1 of the online self-assessment form page TR4. For example, let's say I paid £8,000 into a pension, which the government has topped up to make a total of £10,000. I understand that box 1 should contain £10,000 even though I have not actually paid that much in myself. Should box 1.1 contain the same £10,000 figure, or just the £8,000 that I actually paid? Also, I know the maximum amount I can pay into a pension during any one tax year is my net earnings - i.e. my total revenue less any deductible expenses. So (for example) if I earned £11,000, and deducted £3,000 expenses, then I could pay up to £8,000 into a pension. But is that limit based on the *actual* amount that I personally pay in - so I could pay up to £8,000 into the pension - or is it based on the boosted figure including government's contribution - so I could only pay in £6,400 because the government would boost that up to the £8,000 limit? Thanks for any advice, just not sure which numbers to use.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:11:48 GMT by
I've just submitted this using the same figure in both boxes 1 and 1.1 (so both boxes now include what I paid to the pension company plus the government's bonus amount). Hope that's right anyway, although I can still edit it until tomorrow if I've got it wrong.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:24:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If tax relief has already been applied, it is the £10000 that you enter.

The limit is based on the gross contribution made so in your case it would be the payment of £6400 as this is then grossed up to £8000.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.