Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:21:56 GMT by
I received a notification in November that prompted me to check if I needed to pay the HICBC, which I did. I was informed that a UTR would be sent and return was due in January, but the tax code for 23/24 could be adjusted. The UTR did not arrive, so eventually I called HMRC at beginning of January to be told it would be sent again and I could then adjust tax code for repayment. No letter, so called again today and was informed I could get my UTR via Personal Tax Account page! So, all set-up and SA return completed but due to the delays above I now have to repay in one payment! No option to pay through coding as the deadline was December - nobody told me! This is pretty disappointing and I would like to know if there is any way to not have to pay one large payment when the information provided has been so inconsistent.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:05:18 GMT by
Would appreciate some advice here with the definitive guidance on how repayment can be paid in installments?
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:34:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
I am sorry but if the tax return is received after the 30 December deadline date we are unable to collect the balance through your tax code. If you are unable to pay the balance as a one off payment by the 31 January deadline date then you can check to see if you can set up a payment plan to spread over a longer period online at If you cannot pay your tax bill on time or by searching 'If you cannot pay your tax bill on time'
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 11:00:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You can find further guidance here:

https://www.gov.uk/difficulties-paying-hmrc

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.