Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 08:49:08 GMT by gserghiou
Hi All, I am more or less aware how to calculate my owed tax (based on my working salary and rental income), taking into consideration the Property Allowance (£1,000) or Expenses. For the past years, the accountant was filing this for me , but this year i have decided to start using the online self assessment HMRC form. for the year 2023-2024, my property was mostly vacant, due to the previous tenant leaving and having to 'prepare' the property to be suitable to rent again. so for the year 2023-2024 my proportion (its a shared property i own 50%) of rental income was only £700 . I can see that i can claim the property allowance on the HMRC online self assessment form (but only up to 700, as it cannot exceed my stated rental income). So far so good, and i can see form the calculations that i will not pay any tax on this rental amount. However, i also have a finance cost for my share of 50% of the property which comes to £1,500 (mortgage interest). i know and have seen examples on HMRC website on how i can calculate my owed tax based on 'expenses' rather than property allowance , but at this time it was 'easier' for me just to use the property allowance. My questions is this : I have rented the property out in July 2024 and I think i will be 'entitled' to pay less tax , if I use the 'expenses method' rather than the property allowance, if I use the Finance costs as the expenses....so : Can i carry forward this 'unused' expense of Finance Cost of £1,500 for next year (2024-2025) and use it in addition to next years finance cost (ie £1,500 from 2023-2024 + lets say £1,500 for 2024-2025 ) and next year for 2024-2025 self assessment i use the total of £3,000 Finance cost (1500 from 2024-2025 and 1500 from previous year brought forward) ?? OR, if i choose 'property allowance' for 2023-2024 i cannot make use of the 'take forward' to 2024-2025 of the finance cost ? I hope my question is clear and have not confused you ! Thanks, 

Name removed admin. 
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 07:57:45 GMT by BellaBoo
Hi, I'm not a HMRC Admin but you'd only be able to claim the 24/25 finance costs against the 24/25 rental income. If you claim the property allowance for 23/24 then no expenses can be claimed for the 23/24 year (including the finance costs). You can't claim 23/24 expenses against 24/25 income (although if you had a loss from 23/24 or unused finance costs then those could be carried forward to be used against profits in future years).
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 15:00:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
HI
The finance costs are not an allowable expense but a relief. they therefore reduce any tax due on the actual profit you make but they do not reduce the actual profit. You can carry forward unused relief. as it is a relief it is not part of the property allowance. If there is no tax to pay on your rental income or if there is no profit then the finance costs will show as 0 to then allow you to carry them forward to later years.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 15:16:31 GMT by gserghiou
Hi BellaBoo and HMRC Admin, Thank you for your responses I will try and fill out my self assessment to 'carry forward' the finance costs . If i find myself stuck and not figuring out how to do it, I will call HMRC :) Thanks for the information ! G.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 00:54:33 GMT by BellaBoo
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim4460 "Where a landlord has residential finance costs that would be restricted in that tax year because of ITTOIA05/S272A, they will have the choice to: either claim their expenses (including any allowable finance costs) and the reducer or use the property income allowance (whether Full or Partial Relief) Where the choice is made to use the property income allowance, a carried-forward amount, as defined by S274A(6) cannot be created for that year to be used against the individual’s future years’ income tax liability."
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 07:22:30 GMT by gserghiou
Hi BellaBoo, Very interesting info you have there. which contradicts the HMRC Admin response. I will read more about it (link provided) and any articles mentioned there. Thanks once more George

You must be signed in to post in this forum.