Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 14:03:57 GMT by
Hi HMRC team, I bought and hold US shares in Hong Kong securities firm before I arrived in the UK. I moved to the UK last summer but I did not file the updated Form W-8BEN about my new UK address, etc. May I know any problem/effect for me to file my self-assessment return under these two situations: 1. If I still hold US shares (no dividends declared from US shares at all times) 2. When I sell my US shares (profit or loss on disposal) Which form should be used for reporting of profit or loss on disposal on my shares? Thank you for your help.
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:27:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pisces CHOY
if no dividend is paid out on the shares then there is no income to report.
If you then sell the shares and make a gain, you need to report this.
Please see guidance here:
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
This is based on current guidance only as we cannot comment on future events.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.