Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 12:27:43 GMT by Manu Gopinathan
Hi Team, I am fairly new to The UK and have been here for only 6 months now. I am here on Work Visa currently and has no access to Public fund. I have applied for Marriage allowance with HMRC as I am paying basic tax rate and my wife is not working. HMRC has accepted the application and my Tax code has also changed. Now, I am hearing from different sources that Marriage Allowance is also a benefit which, only the British Citizens can receive and since I am claiming it, this would be considered as a fraud and will be penalized and this may also affect my PR application in the future. Could you please confirm if the immigration status is also a factor for the eligibility of Marriage allowance? I was never asked about any information regarding my residential status or immigration status during my application for marriage allowance. I really don't want to get into any trouble by claiming something if I am not eligible for the same. Could you please help me on this?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 08:28:27 GMT by Manu Gopinathan
Hi Team, Could you please help me with my above query?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 09:07:24 GMT by Manu Gopinathan
Posted Sun, 01 Sep 2024 08:09:06 GMT by Manu Gopinathan
Hi Team, Could you please help?
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 09:37:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

To qualify for Marriage Allowance, either you or you wife must reside in the UK, and be a UK national or from the European Economic Area (EEA).

If you would like us to confirm if you qualify, and cancel the transfer if you do not, please contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 10:42:42 GMT by Manu Gopinathan
Thank you HMRC admin for the response. As per your advice, I have called the Self assessment helpdesk to confirm if I would qualify for the allowance. The helpdesk team member told me that we have to meet ANY ONE of the below eligibility conditions. But you have said that we must meet both the eligibility conditions. 1. Me and My wife must reside in the UK 2. Be a UK national or from the European Economic Area (EEA) Could you please confirm if we must meet EITHER ONE of the above conditions or we must meet BOTH of the above conditions?
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:09:56 GMT by Manu Gopinathan
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 07:56:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Sincere apologies for any confusion caused - EITHER residing in the UK,

OR being a UK national or from the EEA would make you eligible for Marriage Allowance .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.