Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:18:36 GMT by
I have been living and working in the Czech Republic the last few years. On September 29th I arrived in the UK and have been staying at home with my mother. I have continued to work remotely for the Czech company since then, but I have only transferred perhaps around £2000 from my personal Czech bank account to my personal UK bank account (to give my mother for groceries and bills etc). The company pays directly into my Czech bank account, and every year I pay taxes in the Czech Republic. Do I need to do a Self Assessment? Also it is possible I will return to the Czech Republic in the next few weeks. Am I considered to be a UK tax resident or not? I'm not sure if I need to pay taxes in the UK or not, it's all a bit confusing.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:23:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi robert0099,
HMRC cannot advise you on your residence status as this is for you to determine.
Please refer to:
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents
And for the tax  return:
Self Assessment tax returns
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.