Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 11:11:26 GMT by BOBU L
Hi, I am retired with little forign income (e.g. 3,000 GBP a year) which will not need to pay tax. I use the HRMC web site to check if I need to do self assessment and the question 6. Do you "need to pay tax" on any of the following? Should this answer "no" if the forign income is small enough that will not trigger a UK tax? Thanks
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 15:28:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
A UK resident is required to declare their world-wide income.
This is done via a Self Assessment tax return.
I would advise that you contact the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 or via webchat here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Please advise my colleagues of the nature of your overseas income, as when it comes to pensions, some are not taxable in the UK.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 15:46:18 GMT by BOBU L
Hi there, Thanks for the reply. Actually I am using the tool provided by HMRC to check if I need to return a self assessment. The Question 6. of the tool asked "Do you need to pay tax on any of the following?" -Income from a trust -Income from outside the UK -£2,500 or more in commission or cash in hand payments -A payment or charge on a private pension -A Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant -None of these I would like help to clarify "need to pay tax" in this question means 1) "taxable income" of those followings i.e. if I have 10GBP of foreign income, I still need to ans yes in this question. Or 2), it really means "need to pay tax as the result" i.e. the taxable amount of those item is above the threhold of 0% tax rate tier? Thanks for your help
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:57:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
As it is still foreign income then technically you do need to answer yes.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.