Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 12:32:58 GMT by mary louise
Could you please explain the use of this calculator? 1. Is it appropriate for foreign savings interest for a Worldwide Disclosure? Or should I be using the calculator for 2010 to 2023? 2. The main header advises that 'this calculator is for illustrative purposes only - it is not designed to formally determine tax and interest due'. Does this mean the results are not acceptable for a Worldwide Disclosure? 3. What is required for Step 2 'Description': foreign savings interest? country? bank? 4. How do I enter 'Income tax due'? I have Withholding Tax Certificates which record gross interest earned, tax rate (10%), tax deducted at this rate, and net interest. Based on the relevant DDA, I have taken the tax due in the UK to be equivalent to that already deducted i.e. a further 10%. Which WTC figure after currency exchange can be used in the calculator for 'income tax due': the gross interest, the equivalent of tax already deducted at 10%, or the net interest? 5. Once a payment date is entered, the calculator shows two consecutive years, the one checked in Step 1 and the following year. For the first year the calculator has added 'income tax due' to 'interest on balancing payment' and 'penalties due' to reach the total sum due. Could you explan the reference to 'interest on balancing payment'? I have not made any previous payments. Thank you for your help.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 08:45:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see detailed guidance on all aspects of making a disclosure, including the calculation of offshore penalties, through the Worldwide Disclosure Facility here:                                                                             
Offshore penalties

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.