Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 13:34:37 GMT by WaiShing
Dear HMRC Admin, I am writing to seek clarification on the Self-Assessment Return for my specific situation. 1) I relocated in the UK on July 30, 2021, and have been residing here since. On August 30, 2021, my former employer in Hong Kong disbursed a retirement pension fund into my Hong Kong bank account. Could you please advise if this pension payment needs to be reported for tax purposes, and if so, which form or process should I follow? 2) In early 2022, I underwent a major surgery, and my Hong Kong medical insurance reimbursed related expenses to my Hong Kong bank account in May 2022. I would like to inquire whether this insurance payout is required to be reported for tax purposes and, if so, which specific form or procedure should I follow? Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your guidance. Best regards WS
Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 13:28:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

All Hong Kong source pensions, annuities, and lump sum payments in consideration of past employment or self employment, are taxable in Hong Kong.

The insurance payout is not taxable and does not need to be declared.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.