Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Sep 2023 00:27:33 GMT by Chiffon C
Hello, I have just moved to UK in last year after 6 Apr 2022. I have left my previous job in another country before 6 Apr 2022. Since the date that I left my previous job was before the announcement date of the annual bonus, I finally received my bonus after 6 Apr 2022. The date on my cheque payment voucher is 4 Apr 2022 with a payment date on 10 May 2022. Please as my service for this bonus is before 6 Apr 2022, however, the bonus is received after 6 Apr 2022. Do I need to submit tax return? Another question is, I have interest plus dividend in overseas for less than £2,000 allowance, do I need to submit tax return too? Many thanks!
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 17:34:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chiffon C,
Please see:
Tax on foreign income
As you are in receipt of foreign interest then you meet the criteria for Self Assessment.
If you are UK resident then you will be required to declare your bonus payment in your Self Assessment tax return and if tax has already been paid on this, you may be able to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief.
This would only apply if you pay tax in the UK.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.