Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:32:11 GMT by
Hi Team, I was in the UK for 2 years from Dec 2019 until Oct 2021 on an intra company transfer. I used to file self assessment returns. I left UK permanently on 31st Oct 2021. Do I still need to file the self assessment returns? What else do I need to do to complete the formalities in the UK? I have already written online to HMRC to close my self assessment account. I also don't intend to return in the future. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:55:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Akhilesh,
You can tell HMRC you’re leaving through your tax return, if you still have one outstanding.
Complete the ‘resident’ section (form SA109) and send it by post.
If you've already told us that you've left the country, your record is most likely already closed, but please contact us by webchat or post here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
To confirm this, and also to allow us to advise on any income you may still be due to pay UK tax on.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.