Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 04 Aug 2024 20:38:26 GMT by josephmhlai
I am a PAYE employee, bought a laptop in March 2021 partly for work , is it still possible to put in a claim on my tax return ? Thanks
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 14:29:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi josephmhlai,
You would only be able to claim the work related cost of the laptop, so you would need to work out the percentage of use that is private against business use. 
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 17:25:44 GMT by josephmhlai
Thank-you, Since it's 3years ago I bought it, is it still ok to enter on the tax return, if so, where do I enter the figure which is the work proportion on the tax return please?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 20:48:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Your 20/21 return would need to be amended to process your claim, however we have passed the regular time limit for you to amend this return. To make the changes, you need to write to us,

stating that you are 'making a claim for overpayment relief'. State the year you wish to claim for, and give details of the claim you wish to make.

Please send your letter to Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, United Kingdom.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 14:42:45 GMT by josephmhlai
Can I contact them by email can I write to them by email or other means rather than by post? Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 05:08:56 GMT by ceyor60990
Hi josephmhlai, Unfortunately, claims for overpayment relief typically need to be submitted by post as outlined. HMRC usually does not accept these claims via email. Make sure to include all the necessary details in your letter to ensure your claim is processed smoothly. 
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 09:23:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 33
Hi,
No, the claim would need to be done in writing and state that you are looking to claim overpayment relief:
SACM12150 - Overpayment relief: Form of claims
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.