Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:37:49 GMT by
I am a teacher employed full time in the UK but i also do some casual/freelance work for Ofsted that i am paid directly by Ofsted. I know i must pay tax on this element of my income but am unsure if i should declare it under section 16 as other taxable income or question 2 as self employed - i dont have a business name for the next question if it as self employed?
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:43:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Casual freelance work is self employment. You would need to register for self employment and complete a tax return, so that tax and national insurance can be charged on the income.  

Please have a look at the guidance below, to help you register for self employment.

Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.