Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 09 Dec 2023 12:10:16 GMT by
I am completely and utterly confused by how HMRC go about their business. Got a letter informing me to complete a self assessment due to HICBC for tax year 2022/23. Turned out that I was under the threshold and owed over £1k tax back. I was under the impression, mainly because HMRC web pages are clear as mud, that self assessment is the vehicle for collecting HICBC. So why has my PAYE code been adjusted to take into account child benefit? It makes no sense to me at all. Not to mention that the numbers do not add up at all. you now get Job expenses worth £288 your Child Benefit has been increased from £3,267 to £4,564 your Estimated tax you owe this year has been increased from £7,078 to £9,246 Where has this £4564 come from? Thats over twice the annual amount for 2023/24. Apparently I owe 2k more in tax? Not sure where they get that from. And to cap it all off, when you look at the how we calculated the tax code it states i've underpaid £1216. Again, a number seemingly plucked out of thin air. It just simply does not add up when I owe 2k more in tax. Very confused by all this. Can anyone provide any reasonable explanation?
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:43:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Michael Rose,
Apologies for any confusion cuased regarding your child benefit.
For us to provide a full explanation of the amounts calculated as owed and the adjustments to your code, we would need to review your record and earningsand we can give a full explanation:
Please contact us by webchat or phone via:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.