Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:52:25 GMT by
I am self-employed and resident in Northern Ireland. I also do some freelance work in the Republic of Ireland. My Irish income is taxed at source. What is the correct way for me to include this income on my UK tax return? If I understand the situation correctly, there is a Double Taxation Agreement between Ireland the UK which means that I should not be taxed on this income twice. When declaring my total turnover in my tax return, do I include the money earned in Ireland? If so, do I declare the amount that has actually been paid to me (after tax), or the gross pay (before tax)? Or, do I include only my UK income in my total turnover, and declare my income from Ireland in the "foreign income" section? How do I then go about claiming tax relief on my Irish income in order to avoid paying tax on it twice? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:23:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You will include the income within your self employment as turnover. you also show it at the foreign section as self employed and then claim foreign tax credit relief. All income must be declared in sterling.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.