Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:38:58 GMT by
I’m here as a result of trying to get through to a human after ‘phoning the helpline (closed until 4/9/23) and 0300 200 3600. I can’t complete my self assessment for 2022-2023 tax year online because it says that it has already been filed. The date given was 30/5/23, but it wasn’t done by me. I need to reclaim over £400 in overpaid tax. I used the link, ‘request a payment’, to reclaim it but was informed that there was nothing to reclaim. Whilst there I noticed that there was unpaid tax of about £160 for tax year ending 2022. I can only think this has occurred through an error you made demanding a penalty for not filing my 2020 tax return that I didn’t have to do. I thought that had been resolved by a previous ‘phone call. If my assumption is correct I’ll be paying compound interest on a fictitious penalty. As there is no way of contacting you until 4/9/23 what am I supposed to do to sort this mess? Also is it possible to fill in a paper copy of the tax return?
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:43:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can contact our Self Assessment department online by webchat and we can look into this. Please click 'Ask HMRC online' and ask to speak to an adviser.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.