Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 21:19:22 GMT by RJ73
I've an offer to provide startup company advisory services in return for shares in the startup company. The startup is at an early stage. The shares would vest monthly over a 2 year period and unlikely to be liquid/tradeable in this period. I currently have a full time job and am paid via PAYE. I have no other reason to submit as self assessment tax return. If I provide advisory services as a sole trader in return for sweat equity, is there a share income value threshold I need to cross before needing to declare the receipt of the shares to HMRC on a self assessment tax return?
Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 12:59:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Please refer to the following links - Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return and Tax on dividends
Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 11:28:58 GMT by RJ73
Thanks for the links, but I am unsure of how to answer the questions below when receiving shares in exchange for services provided (in this case advisory services that fall outside of IR35) I'm also unsure about which valuation of the shares is used at the point of vesting as it will be a non listed, early stage startup with low likelihood of the shares being liquid during the vesting period. 3. Did you earn more than £1,000 from working for yourself? - is this £0? Or the value of the vested shares in the tax year? 10. Did you get more than £10,000 from dividends or savings and investments? - is this the value of the vested shares in the tax year OR the gain made from any shares sold?
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 12:29:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You have stated that you are a sole trader so this would be your reason for Self Assessment.

The shares would be a capital gain and taxed as such unless your self employment is actually classed as trading.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.