Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:23:01 GMT by mmwalison25
I have moved to UK on 31Mar2022 using BNO visa and my foreign rental income from Hong Kong as submitted for 2022-2023. The self assessment have been filed and paid. Recently I got a message from HMRC app charging me 2020,2021,2022 late filing penalty. Can you please let me know as a non resident for these years I’m not required to submit my self assessment and where I can appeal these penalties? I have tried different ways to call but it ended up on the website asking me to file self assessment but I’m a non resident for these years, I don’t really know how and where to proceed the appeal further. Can you please contact me via email on how to appeal?
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:57:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

We are unable to review personal matters in this forum.  For an answer to a personal question of this nature, you would need to contact our self assesment helpline at:
 Self Assessment: general enquiries or contact our webchat facility at:

Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:39:59 GMT by mmwalison25
Hi Thanks for your reply . I have tried all these ways you given but it kept asking me to file my tax return which I should not as I was not a resident on those years. All the link just kept looping in the same way . Can you guide me to other ways or I can speak with someone directly?
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:15:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you are unable to update this online then you will need to contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.