Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 10:41:14 GMT by
Hi all, my partner and I will be going to Australia for one year. My plan was to continue running my online business as a Virtual Assistant and Designer. All of my online work is not location-based, so I can do it anywhere. My clients for my Virtual Assistant work tend to be from the US and the UK (but can be from anywhere) - so my income comes from all over the world. My design work is the same, as I sell digital products on online platforms. We're only planning to go away for one year and we will have an address in the UK, and we're keeping all of our bank accounts open etc. Can I continue to be registered as a sole trader in the UK and pay tax on my online business income to the UK, while I live in Australia for one year?
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:15:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Your self employment income will become taxable in the country that you relocate to and in the UK, up to the date you leave the UK.  

You will need to consider the rules on split year treatment to see if they apply in your circumstces.  Please have a look at the guidance at RDR3 abd take the tests here:

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

You will need to complete a Self Assessment tax return, regardless of the outcome of the tests.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.