Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 06:46:11 GMT by Salvatore Cavaliere
Hi I need to register for the first time as I am about to start a job as self employed. In order to be able to start I need a UTR number and I have tried twice to complete an SA1 form but it got rejected twice as it says it’s incomplete. Some on the information required on the form doesn’t apply to me as I am not currently self employed. Can you advice what to do? Not even sure at this point if I am filling the correct form.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:05:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Form SA1 is where you are not registering as self employed. As you intend becoming self employed you register for Self Assessment differently, so that national insurance is also notified.  

This is done by following the guidance at:

Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step

If you have not commenced self employment yet, but know when you are likely to start, you should use the date you belief you will commence trading.  

If you are unable to register online, you can complete the online form CWF1 below, 


You can print it off and post to:

Self Assessment HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Please note that sending the completed form by post will take longer to process.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.