Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:06:54 GMT by
I have recently moved to the UK from Ireland. I obtain an Irish Passport. Since living in the UK, I have started working for myself and I am now self employed as a freelancer here. How do I register for self employment here if I don't have a UK passport or UK driving license. I cannot prove my identity online and cant continue the registration process. What should I do? I tried calling directly but have received no answer.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:26:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are unable to register as self employment and class 2 national insurance on line, you will need to fill out this online form, print it off and post it to HM Revenue and Customs. 

You will need to have a national insurance number before you can fill out this form. 

To apply for a National Insurance number phone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 141 2075. 

You may be asked to go to an interview to confirm your identity.
See :

Check how to register for Self Assessment .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.