Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 10:17:55 GMT by
I use UK broker account to invest in US Stock market (assume buying Apple listed in US). The earnings will go to my UK broker account. Will it be counted as foreign income? Please advise.
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 12:32:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi YY Wong,
US government bonds, sometimes known as T-bills or treasury bills are generally taxed as income rather than Capital Gains Tax.
The return is paid at maturity rather than regular interest payments.
In the UK, these are known as deeply discounted securities, with the discount being the difference between the price at which they were issued and the price received at maturity.
On a foreign investment the income is the difference between the purchase and redemption price after each has been converted to sterling on the day the transactions took place, so includes any foreign exchange gains.
Losses cannot be deducted. 
Please have a look here:
SAIM3010 - Deeply discounted securities: introduction
For more information

You must be signed in to post in this forum.