Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 20:20:59 GMT by gemccloud
Hello, I have a full-time job and my salary is taxed at source. However, I filed a tax return in the year 22-23 as I had some income from a deceased relative that needed taxing, so I am already registered for self-assessment and have a UTR. However, in the year 23-24 I will have earned a bit of money on the side that I will need to declare as I will have breached the £1,000 miscellaneous income threshold. When I look into registering as a sole trader, the only advice I can find is to register for self-assessment, which I have already done. Please can you tell me how I can register as a sole trader if I am already registered for SA? Or is it simply a case of filling out the relevant pages when it comes to filing my 23-24 return?
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 12:30:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi gemccloud,
Registering as self employed is registering as a sole trader.
Both terms mean the same thing, so being self employed is the same as being a sole trader.
 In your 23/24 tax return, on a paper tax return, you would complete SA100 (tax return) SA102 (employment) and you would complete SA103 (self employment).
Online, you would tick yes when tailoring your return, to the same sections.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.