Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 19:23:00 GMT by C CYK
Hi HMRC, I am writing to seek guidance regarding the tax treatment of gains derived from my Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) contributions in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, the MPF scheme requires both employers and employees to make mandatory contributions of 5% of the employee’s relevant income, up to a statutory cap of HKD 1,500 per month. However, my employer’s policy requires that employees contribute 5% of their income to the MPF account, regardless of the statutory cap, and my employer matches this contribution. As a result, my contributions to the MPF include both mandatory (capped at HKD 1,500 per month) and voluntary components (the amount exceeding the statutory cap). I would like to understand the tax treatment of gains from the voluntary contributions within the MPF scheme. Specifically, I need clarification on: 1. Whether gains from voluntary MPF contributions need to be reported in my UK tax return. 2. The correct procedure for reporting these gains, if required. I appreciate your assistance in this matter.
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 12:04:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The following guidance advises that government pensions are taxable only in the source state. As the source state is Hong Kong, they will not be taxable in the UK.

DT9203 - Double Taxation Relief Manual: Guidance by country: Hong Kong: Treaty summary

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.