Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 26 May 2024 21:07:56 GMT by bt
Dear HMRC Administrator, I would like to inquire about my tax situation in the UK. I used the "Tax Residence Check" tool ( provided by HMRC, which indicated that I am not considered a tax resident in the UK for the tax year 2022-23. However, during this period, I opened a bank account in the UK and received a minimal amount of saving interest income (less than 1 pound). In such a scenario, do I still need to complete a Self-Assessment tax return and declare that I am not a tax resident (SA100 and SA109)? I would appreciate any advice and guidance you can provide. Thank you. BT
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 10:50:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you have to complete a tax return for another reason, you would round up or down all of your entries to whole pounds, in your favour. You would not need to report anything below £1.00.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 22:28:59 GMT by bt
Thanks. For UK income, I only received the mentioned £1.00 saving interest only. I have overseas income but as I am a non-resident for that tax year. I would comprehend that I don't need to do both the Self-Assessment and declare that I am not a tax resident. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 05 Jun 2024 10:22:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi bt,
Please refer to:
Self Assessment tax returns
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.