Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 08:50:36 GMT by gserghiou
HI all, Apologies first of all as this has turned out to be a long post... I have a question regarding declaring 'foreign rental income' on the Online self assessment tax return. I understand that i need to declare this in the 'Tailor your return' section. However it is unclear to me, what options (yes/no) I should select in point 05 and 06 My current situation for the 2023-2024 tax year is that my portion of foreign rental income is Less than £1,000. This is normal house, and nothing like a 'holiday let' etc. I have tried playing around by selecting various combinations of YES/NO for point 5 and 6, and i think from trial and error and observing the values and tax due at the end of each combination, that i have the 'correct' answer, but I need to make sure with HMRC officers that I am submitting the correct information-options. my confusion relates to the following points : point 5 says : Did you receive income from UK land and/or property (including income from foreign property) over £1,000? Please check help before selecting so i guess i should select NO to this. point 6 says,: If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section? Please check help before selecting which i select YES, if I select NO to point 5 and YES to point 6 , I am then given the chance to declare (from point 6) that i have foreign income and this foreign income is from RENT and i then of course give the details etc ! however, when i get the 'overview' of 'Check your return' the system says : you did NOT receive income from property !!!! which is not true, as i am stating this in the foreign section. maybe this only relates to point 5 and UK rental income ??? this is so confusing. If i declare YES to point 5, as it says UK rental income BUT in parenthesis it mentions (including income from foreign property) and of course YES to point 6, then i am presented wiht UK renatl income for a UK property and foreign rental income, and the system then tries to calculate tax (i know this as it will only allow me to split the £1000 rental allowance between the 2 properties it thinks i now rent out !!! ) So to me this is wrong, as I do NOT have both a UK property i rent out , as well as a property abroad that i rent out !!! So, is there anyone who can help me as to what I should choose for point 5 and point 6 in the Tailor your return section please ? as mentioned, For tax year 2023-2024 my portion of foreign rental income was less than £1,000 and also, what would i choose (this is for next year as the property will be rented starting from this July onwards) for 2024-2025 that my portion of foreign rental income will be more than £1,000 ?? from what i have observed i should still say NO to point 5, and YES to point 6, stating that my foreign income is from Rent and declare the details then !! Thanks, George
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 09:14:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi gserghiou,
Did you have UK rental property income? Yes/No.
If you tick no to the question
""Did you receive income from UK land and/or property (including income from foreign property) over £1,000?""
you should still tick yes to the question ""
If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section?"".
You can then declare the foreign property income and claim the property income allowance or expenses incurred.
If you tick Yes, you should also click yes to the foreign section.
This will allow you to declare your UK property income and expenses in the Uk section and the foreign property income in the foreign section.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 10:41:44 GMT by gserghiou
Hi , Thanks for the reply and the information. It is now clear to me. Thank you, George

Feedback to reply .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.