Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:26:40 GMT by jay Lockwood
Hi, my adjusted salary last year exceeded the 50k limit, I earned £51,154. Having used the calculator, I owe £137 in child benefit which apparently has to be paid through self assessment for the tax year 2023/2024. I’m not registered for self assessment currently and this is likely to be the only year I exceed the limit, now it has risen to 60k. On the calculator page, it says… “If you’re making a new claim between 6 April 2024 and 8 July 2024 and are calculating your backdated amount, you do not need to send a separate Self Assessment tax return for 2023 to 2024. Add the estimated Child Benefit and tax to your 2024 to 2025 Child Benefit tax calculation results.” I’m not sure what this means? Do I have to do a self assessment for 2023/2024 tax year or not? If not, how do I pay it next year? Confused. Thank you
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 07:42:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jay Lockwood,
As you were in receipt of Child Benefit and not a new claim then you will need to register for Self Assessment using a form SA1 and complete the tax return.
You can register online here:
Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 09:20:29 GMT by jay Lockwood
Thank you for the reply. I have used the online calculator and it says I owe £137 for the higher income charge, which seems about right. My adjusted taxable income was £51154 and I believe the charge is 1% of child benefit for every £100 my salary exceeds £50k. However, when I complete the self assessment tax return, it says my calculation for amount owed is £296.60. This is clearly wrong but I don’t know what to do now?
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 09:10:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jay Lockwood,
There may be some other information in your calculation that is increasing the amount you owe.
To allow us to review this for you,  please contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.