Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 12:21:15 GMT by domi-nika
When traveling for work I have a couple of questions. If my usual place of work is A - travel from home to A is considered private milage. If my employer needs me to travel from home to another office location, would the entirety of the travel be considered business mileage? At the moment the company deducts from each travel to another office the usual distance we would travel to our permanent place of work so if it's 10 miles from my home to A then if i travel from home to B (another office which is not my parament place of work) they deduct the 10 miles.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2024 05:20:28 GMT by JillyB B
Following this post as I have a similar query
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 05:45:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi domi-nika,
Please have a look at the guidance here:
Ordinary commuting and private travel (490: Chapter 3)
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 08:16:30 GMT by Kevin.W1
Hello, Please could you confirm whether travel from home to a customer site for a sales meeting would class the customer site as a temporary workplace, and therefore whether 3.48 and 3.49 of that guidance would apply in that situation?
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 14:54:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kevin.W1,
Please refer to:
EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace
For definitions to see if you qualify.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 18:19:01 GMT by JillyB B
Not sure that my circumstances are quite the same as the previous queries but apologies if they are. I work in the NHS and my main base is a hospital 10 miles from home. I also regularly work at different clinics around the area and i travel to these straight from home and do not go to the hospital on the same day. Is it right that I can only claim for any mileage above 10 miles when going to outlying clinics? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 08:35:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Please refer to the guidance at:

Employment Income Manual

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.